Tuesday, September 8, 2015

I'm thirsty now

 Gardening with less waterGardening with Less Water: Low-Tech, Low-Cost Techniques; Use up to 90% Less Water in Your Garden by David Bainbridge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Why are we not more serious about using less water? What will it take to make us be a little bit smarter about water usage?

I don't know about you but water is pretty important to me and yet I know I could still get so much better with lowering my water use.

Books like this help us learn better ways to lighten up on our use of this precious resource. I'd like to say I read it all in one sitting but I took my time to read through it slowly and understand how I could have better used water, and harvested rainwater, in my previous yards.

This book had a lot of good information though I found it a bit dry (sorry) and I wished there were more examples for me to follow.

There are many other important books out there to read as well such as Brad Lancaster's, Rainwater Harvesting For Drylands and Beyond, Volume 2: Water-Harvesting Earthworks. Lets' face it even a balcony can be a dryland.

Also websites such as Inside Urban Green teach us more about the importance of SIPs (sub-irrigated planters) and there are commercial planters out there like Earthboxes that every balcony gardener should try to have or emulate (EarthTainer anyone?).

Now I'm thirsty and I may just go throw a bucket on my balcony to gather some of the rain that is falling today. Nice.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment